Friday, August 1, 2008

SUN RAPED

So the beach was a bad idea. We went to New Simerna beach (on the Altlantic coast) and it was amazing fun, but don't be fooled... there were brutal consequences for my disregard of Florida's mother nature. First off, I was reminded that hydrating is of upmost importance when you plan on having nothing but beer in this Florida summer sun. Secondly, I was taught a hard lesson that it really does matter to reapply sunscreen here in Florida. You see, in California, one application of Banana Boat is more than enough. Not the case here in Florida. Needless to explain myself any further, I ended up dehydrated (beer minus water) and toasted (not from the beer, mind you!) So the whole weekend was basically ruined for me. I could barely move and had blisters all along my chest (I'm probably making it sound worse than it actually was). Don't be fooled though--I wasn't able to wear a shirt for a few days. I just layed there all day (my back wasn't bad burnt bad at all) and saturdated myself with aloe until the skin would reject it's moisture. I actually gave myself a vinegar treatment, too. To this day, my skin had the greenest tinge to it from the aloe and I faintly smelled like that of a salad. However, just yesterday I found redemption in the fact that sun burns eventually begin to peel. Instead of the stinging pain, this time I started to itch all over. I wanted so bad to preserve the tan, but once I jumped in the shower, my skin became really soggy and the dead stuff just started to come off. So comes the end of this fiasco.

Serving an internship with Relevant Magazine over the summer: negative $1,500.
Taking a weekend trip to the beach with the rest of the interns: $10.
Another lesson learned in skin protection: priceless.

Don't tell me I didn't learn anything this summer...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love your colorful details! I have never heard someone say that they smelled like a salad. You're a nut! But, that's what I love about you. You describe things in an interesting way and get us to look at it from a different prospective.

It is a hard lesson to learn. Usually on your next outing you think twice and remember the pain and lather yourself with double the sunscreen.

I'm glad that you've had a great time in Florida and made new friends, but we're all excited to have you back home again.

From the thought of "sleeping on a park bench" - to working and living with great people - to being burnt to a crisp and having the Florida sun zap you of all your hydration - to smelling like a salad...This all should be one life experience you will never forget!

Cherish it forever...

Love, MOM